Winter’s Recipe: Gajar Ka Halwa| How to make carrot halwa
About Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
One of the most popular Indian dessert, here is the ‘Gajar ka Halwa’ recipe. Known to have originated in Punjab, it is a delight during the winter months. Grated carrots, milk, sugar and nuts are stirred and cooked together.
Recipe Servings: 2 Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins Total Cook Time: 1 hr
Difficulty Level: Easy Calories per serving: 324 Kcal
Ingredients Of Gajar Ka Halwa
1 Kg Carrots
1 1/2 Litre Full Fat Milk
8 Green cardamoms (Choti Elaichi)
5-7 Tbsp Ghee
5-7 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Raisins
1 Tbsp Almonds, shredded
2 Tbsp Dates, chopped
How to Make Gajar Ka Halwa
- Firstly Rinse, Peel and grate the carrots either with a hand-held grater or in a food processor.
- In a kadhai or deep thick bottomed pan combine milk and grated carrots.
- On a low to medium flame, bring the whole mixture to boil and simmer.
- While the mixture is simmering on a low flame, keep on stirring in between.
- The grated carrots will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
- When the milk reduced to 75%, add the ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom to the mixture.
- Stir well and continue to simmer and cook on a low flame.
- Towards the end, add the cashews, raisins, and simmer the halwa till all the milk is evaporated. Switch of the burner.
- Serve the halwa hot or warm.
Tips for making Carrot Halwa
- To Make Gajar ka halwa, it is important to buy tender and juicy carrots so that they are easy to grate. Some arm work is needed to make this halwa as you have to first grate the carrots and then slow cook them in stove top and keep on stirring them on regular intervals.
- You can grate the carrots manually or in a food processor.
- Suggested to use heavy iron kadhai to make the halwa. The carrot halwa is simmered and stirred often. So that it should not get burnt. You can non-stick kadhai or thick bottom pan.
Also see: Authentic Saag Paneer